Bowen is a gentle yet profoundly effective therapy that addresses most acute and chronic health problems regardless of age or physical condition. Bowen is an innovative bodywork approach that stimulates the body’s natural healing capacity to heal and recover quickly and safely from pain and injury.
Bowen is a total body-balancing therapy aimed at treating the whole person in restoring the body’s overall balance and harmony. Most people experience substantial relief after the first session and oftentimes full recovery in just 2-3 sessions.
A Bowen Therapist is simply a catalyst, setting the stimulus in motion for the body to heal itself. The work is performed on a physiological level by touching sense receptors under the skin and alerting the brain to any problem areas that exist in the body. Without any forced manipulations, Bowen moves are performed precisely on the body which relays a signal to the brain – the brain then sends the appropriate message to the tissues to encourage the release of tension held in the body and to help restore proper bodily alignment. When undergoing Bowen sessions, the results are often times very surprising as other conditions just fix themselves for something other than the person’s main complaint!
Bowen Therapy is often times called “physical homeopathy” because minimal outside influence is required to achieve phenomenal and lasting results. Achieved with only a few Bowen moves, the human body’s ability to self-heal is amazing and Bowens' motto simply is “Less is More”.
Bowen Therapy has been described by many alternative and mainstream health professionals as one of the most important healthcare discoveries in medicine today. Bowen balances the autonomic nervous system and helps detoxify the body and is effective for many conditions.
Why receive Bowen Therapy?
Bowen Therapy treats YOU, not just the condition and many people are choosing regular Bowen sessions as their primary form of preventative healthcare and for its therapeutic and relaxing benefits.
Bowen Therapy stems from the ingenious work of Australian born Tom Bowen, a Manipulative Therapist, during the 1950's to 1980's from. He claimed that his work was a 'Gift from God' that could address on all levels any and every condition that inflicts a person.
A 1975 Australian Government inquiry into Tom Bowen's work determined that he was successfully treating an astonishing 13000 patients a year with Bowen Therapy, yielding reported results of an amazing 80 to 90 percent success rate, usually in only a couple of sessions.
Issues that Bowen may help with:
♦ Musculoskeletal Conditions: Acute or Chronic Pain, Post Traumatic Pain, Post Surgery, Arthritis, Entire Spine, Muscle Spasms, Mobility Issues, Scoliosis, Kyphosis, Lordosis, Sciatica, Herniated Discs, Osteoarthritis
♦ Sports & Overuse Injuries: Ankle, Knee, Shin Splints, Heel Spurs, Plantar Fasciitis, Adductor and Hamstring Strain, Rotator Cuff Injuries, Tennis or Golfer’s Elbows, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Repetitive Stress Injuries, Achilles Tendonitis, Bursitis
♦ Migraines/Headaches: From Stress and Tension, Structural and Postural Imbalance, Digestive or Hormonal origin
♦ Pelvic Imbalances: Tilt, Leg Length, Hip Pain and Imbalance, Inguinal and Groin Pain, Abnormal Gait, Feet turned in or out, Sacroiliac pain, Coccyx/Tailbone pain
♦ Frozen Shoulder: Capsulitis, Rotator Cuff, Arthritis, Limited Range of Motion
♦ Whiplash & Concussions
♦ TMJ/Jaw: Pain, Tension, and Malalignment of the jaw, Difficulty Swallowing.
♦ Chest: Sprung, Bruised or Cracked Ribs, Sternal Pain
♦ Feet: Hammer toes, bunion, heel spurs, poor circulation, leg cramps
♦ Digestive: Abdominal Pain, Crohn’s, Diverticulitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Hiatal Hernia, Colic, Constipation, Diarrhea, Indigestion, Bloating, Heartburn, Nausea, Liver, Gall Bladder or Pancreatic Problems, Hemorrhoids, Proctalgia or Perineal pain, Bowel Problems
♦ Respiratory: Asthma, Allergies, Hay Fever, Sinusitis, Sinus Congestion, Recurrent Infections, Bronchitis, Colds & Flu, Glandular Fever, Influenza
♦ Gynecological: PMS, Menstrual problems, Prolapsed Uterus, Difficulty Conceiving or Carrying pregnancy, Infertility, Menopausal symptoms, Fibroids, Ovarian Cysts, Back Pain in Pregnancy, Scar Tissue & Pain from surgery ie. Hysterectomy, C-Section, Removal of Cysts & Fibroids.
♦ Breasts: Related to PMS, Mastitis & Lactation Problems, Fibrocystic Breasts, Cancer Prevention
♦ Kidney: Water Retention/Generalized Edema, Urinary Tract Infections, Stones, Assist Kidney Function, Incontinence (adult)
♦ Incontinence: Regardless of Age
♦ Prostate: Enlarged, Infection
♦ Neurological Conditions: Bell's palsy, Cerebral Palsy, Stroke, Muscular Dystrophy, Parkinson, Torticollis, Multiple Sclerosis.
♦ Heart Conditions: Chest pain, Angina, Circulation problems
♦ Detoxification from Drugs
♦ Ears and Balance: Ear Infections, Tinnitus, Vertigo/Dizziness, Balance Problems, Meniere's Disease
♦ Skin Issues: Eczema, Psoriasis
♦ Other Conditions: Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Lymphatic Congestion/Blockage, Insomnia, Neuritis, Neuropathy, Lyme's Disease, Reynaud's Disease, Stress, Shock, Anxiety, ADD/ADHD, Autism, Grief, Depression, Adrenal Exhaustion, Stimulation of Energy Flow.
A Bowen Therapy treatment is 1.5 hours.
Treatments are spaced a 5-9 days apart for optimal results and the number for treatments required varies from person to person due to many factors. Many conditions are effectively – and lastingly – changed in fewer than 3-5 sessions, although some conditions may take longer. Musculoskeletal symptoms generally change the fastest, neurological symptoms the slowest.
Many people choose to have monthly or quarterly maintenance sessions or “tune ups” once their initial complaints are addressed.
A Bowen treatment consists of sequences of small precise light-touch moves performed on the body by cross-fibering over muscles, tendons and ligaments.
After each set of moves, a 2-5 minute pause is needed to allow your body time to realign and rectify itself before commencing onto the next sequence of moves. Oftentimes the therapist leaves the room during the pause phase.
Bowen is performed thru clothing and it is recommended that a client wear lightweight clothing or a large t-shirt that I provide to wear during the session. Also the client is covered with a blanket during the session to keep the body warm and comfortable.
Session may include any of the following: Amethyst Biomat, Sonicwave, Cold Laser.
Just like the vibrations that are initiated by strumming the strings of a guitar, your muscular structures vibrate amongst themselves during a Bowen session. Once a specific group of muscles and tendons begin their vibrational patterns, they must not be disturbed for a specific time period, usually two to five minutes. Your therapist will leave the room to allow for the maximum effect to take place, as your brain begins the important feedback loop between the nerve receptors and the targeted areas of your brain.
Results vary greatly depending on the patient. Most patients feel completely relaxed and energized following their treatment. As for pain most people feel an immediate decrease in their body however some may feel an increase in pain which generally goes away after a day or 2. The effects of Bowen take about a week to cascade throughout your body’s intricate physiological structures. To minimize any side effects after your session it is recommended to follow your therapist’s instructions to the best of your ability.
Lymphatic fluid, or “lymph” is circulated through your lymph nodes, and is your body’s main resource for healing. Lymph carries valuable supplies throughout your entire body, and removes toxins and waste products for natural elimination. While your blood is distributed by the pumping of your heart, your lymphatic system does not have a pump of its own. It relies on simple movement and water consumption to keep it moving and It is recommended to drink plenty of water after a Bowen session. The majority of your lymph nodes are conveniently located in areas that are stimulated by natural movement such as walking and swimming and are ideal forms of exercise for the week following your Bowen treatment.
This service is not covered by OHIP and most extended private health insurance programs.
Ionic Foot Detox and Chakra Crystal Healing Bed are great add-on therapies to a Bowen Therapy session. Check out SERVICES for list of other services available.
“At 52 years old, I was suffering from arthritis, aches and pains, and frozen shoulder. I received little relief from other therapies in the past. My first treatment with Sharon totally healed my frozen shoulder and my arthritis pain was significantly reduced within the course of a few treatments. I now feel 20 years younger. Thank you Sharon. I feel like you have given me back my life!”
I have been suffering with upper back and neck pain for almost 10 years. I have been seeing chiropractors and others to get some help but I received almost no relief from pain. Just recently I was introduced to Sharon through a friend of mine. I agreed to see her, to my surprise just from one treatment my pain severity was cut in half!!! "JUST FROM ONE TREATMENT" for me it was positive sign and so did couple of more treatment. After three treatments I am healed little over 90% and my energy level is as high as 20 year old younger man, I am 38 by the way but don't tell any one. So, Thank you Sharon Walsh!"
"Two months of acute sciatica passed with no relief. My sister, a registered massage therapist, insisted I try Bowen Therapy. I agreed to see Sharon. The first appointment gave me almost immediate relief. The day I went to see her I had to lift my leg into the car to avoid excruciating groin pain. When I left her office, I did not need to do this. After the second treatment the pain level was minimal and after the third and last treatment I walked out totally pain free. I am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to alternative therapies but Bowen Therapy and Sharon Walsh have made me a believer."
” I had chronic pain in my legs and feet for years and after working diligently under Sharon's guidance, my results were remarkable. At first I was hesitate to try Bowen Therapy but soon discovered it's easy to believe in it, once you see the results."
”"The complete body balancing achieved through Bowen has significantly reduced my chronic pain caused by Multiple Sclerosis.”
“After having a bad shoulder for 7 years from a very bad car crash I had lots of physio, which helped the pain for short term periods. I had 3 Bowen treatments and my shoulder pain has gone and my range of movement is now 100% normal. I highly recommend Bowen Therapy."
. - P Howden
BOWEN THERAPY is your Solution to Instant Pain Relief!
It is not unusual these days for friends and acquaintances who have not seen me for several years to not immediately recognize me. The obvious weight loss is immediately noticeable and prompts people to ask what I have been doing. While the weight loss is a factor, however, what is amazing to them (and to me, as well) is that over the past several years I have reclaimed my life in many other ways.
A serious highway traffic accident in 1979 left me with major injuries to my neck, both legs, and one foot. In the subsequent years, follow-up surgeries, physiotherapy, chiropractic adjustments and other treatments were able to help me regain some measure of mobility. However, as the years went by, significant leg-length discrepancies resulting from the accident and other misalignments from knee and foot injuries, began to impact more and more severely on my mobility. Chronic pain meant that for years I did not know what it was to move without significant discomfort. Some mornings, my feet and legs hurt so much, it was almost impossible to get from the bed to the bathroom. Back pain, accompanied by hip, knee, leg and foot pain, became a constant companion. Walking even short distances was very difficult, even on the best of days. As my mobility lessened, my weight increased, compounding an already-serious health issue. While my weight had been a factor from childhood, the constant pain and the decreasing mobility contributed to my weight skyrocketing to an all-time high.
When I first heard of Bowen Therapy through the medical clinic I use, I was at a point where I was resigned to living with constant pain. While I had never really verbalized the thought, my fear was that before too long, walking would become so difficult, that I would begin to need to use a wheelchair. Not a pleasant thought! I decided to try Bowen (I had already tried everything else, it seemed) and that decision has led me to where I am today - healthier, happier and, for the first time in many years, free of pain.
Because there is no Bowen practitioner in my community, I had to avail of treatments twice yearly, when Sharon Walsh visited for several weeks. After my first series of five or six treatments, I could already feel a difference. The neuro-muscular-skeletal realignment which Bowen promised seemed to have begun. I was slowly able to begin walking again, starting with ten minutes and increasing slowly. Over the next two years, with a twice-yearly series of five or six treatments, I could feel my body realign itself.
For the first time in about 25 years, my body felt as though both sides were balanced. Movement became easier and the pain, which had been my constant companion forever, it seemed, slowly disappeared, as did the weight. Over a two-year period, I lost more than 100 lb. and gained more mobility than I had ever thought possible. The 10-minute walks slowly increased to where I could undertake two or three hour hikes. The pain in my back, hips, knees, legs and foot went away. Only someone who has lived with chronic pain and knows what it is like to experience pain with every step can really understand the life-altering magnitude of such a change. My life was back!
Four series of treatments over a two-year period brought me to a point where only rarely do I feel any pain at all. Stiffness and discomfort indicate that it is time for a “tune-up”, as I like to call it, in the form of two or three Bowen sessions. These days, I no longer have to search for a close parking spot or queue for the elevator; in fact, my new-found mobility has encouraged other work colleagues to begin taking the stairs in our office building. I would never have thought it possible, but at the age of 51, for the first time ever, I joined a friend for a walk to and from Signal Hill – one of the steepest walks I have ever undertaken. Since that time, I have walked not only that particular trail, but many others besides. For me, there certainly is life after 50 – and Bowen has been a very big part of that.
St. John's, Newfoundland
July 20th, 2008
Bowen Therapy is not meant to replace medical treatment. However, due to its success, more and more members of the medical profession continue to be amazed at its effectiveness and have begun to add Bowen Therapy to their practice or refer their patients to a professional Bowen Therapist.
What Physicians, Health Professionals and others say:
This is a client letter written to Dr. Andrew Weil reporting benefits of receiving Bowen treatments.
Andrew Weil MD
P.O.Box 868 Vail, Az. 85641
The following letter is to tell you about my most positive experience with the Bowen Technique. I am a terrible skeptic and recently became critically ill with an exceedingly bad multiple sclerosis exacerbation. I was in significant muscle pain with reoccurring muscle spasms. A Bowen practitioner came and visited me in the hospital and did a session on me. I was so ill and in pain at the time, I thought I’ll try anything. After just a few minutes (after the session), the pain I had been heavily medicated for, completely disappeared and never returned. At first, I couldn’t walk or really move my left side much - but since 3 visits total - I can walk - unsteadily, without a walker for short distances.
I am astounded something so simple and painless works - but it clearly does.
Regards Charlotte Brown, Ph.d. San Francisco
- Dr. Joseph Mercola, Director, Optimal Wellness Center, Chicago, Illinois, -"This work, done properly, will take care of 85% of most all pain problems. It is absolutely amazing."
- Dr. Christine Staub - "As a board-certified family physician with a special interest in the treatment of chronic illness and pain syndromes, I am thrilled to have Bowen Therapy as a resource for myself, family, friends and patients."
-Lou Hassik, Naturopath - "The Bowen Technique has made my previous approach to human health care redundant. I now consider Bowen to be the most important health care discovery in human history."
- Dr. JoAnne Whitaker, M.D. - "I was facing a hip replacement and back surgery when I discovered the Bowen Technique. After receiving Bowen treatments, not only was I able to walk, but I went back to playing golf... without surgery. I was so impressed that I flew to Australia to train in the Bowen Technique and now treat patients with ailments ranging from bunions to heart disease. I believe that Bowen Therapy is the single, most important hands-on healing technique in medicine."
- Brenda Williams, Director of the Quiet Miracles Program in North Carolina chose the Bowen Technique as the sole hands-on component of her hospital's pain management unit.
- Russell Dick, Osteopath - "There are things in life which pass in front of you that must be grabbed with both hands. Bowen has turned my practice on its head, with 80% of my patients being given Bowen as first choice."
- Dr. Ted Sleigh - "Of all the modalities I have used, Bowen Therapy has helped so many of my patients that I would never want to give it up."
- Audrey Butko M.D. - "I consider the Bowen Technique to be a blessing in my practice because of its simplicity, results and patient satisfaction. It has nearly eliminated my need to use cortisone injections."
- Mitchell R. Mosher, DPM - "The Bowen Technique is one of the most powerful physical medicine techniques I have learned in 24 years as a podiatrist. I routinely use the Bowen Technique to complement treatment of various foot and ankle injuries."
- Gerry Townsend, M.D. - "I offer the Bowen Technique to acute and chronic patients who have not responded to traditional treatment for myofascial pain syndrome, back pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis or fractures. Although skeptical at first, C.S. Whitman, M.D., an orthopedic surgeon, now regularly refers patients to Dr. Townsend's program."
- Dr. Frederick Menier - "I have been able to notice results even in chronic situations such as rheumatism, TMJ, chronic asthma and emotional depression. An added bonus to this wonderful work is that it is very soft and gentle and well appreciated by my patients for this and its deep relaxing benefits."
- Dr. Michael Buckmann - "As the success with Bowen is in most cases so astonishing, people seeking an explanation as to what it is prior to receiving treatment often think you are some incredible charlatan making wild claims when you give an explanation. But it is true. Clients who present with both acute and chronic pain, having often sought in vain treatment from a variety of other experts and specialists, are consistently free of their problems within a very short time by using Bowen. In fact, most clients require only 2 or 3 sessions to achieve long term benefits."
- Laurie Anderson, artist - “I’m so grateful to have a treatment that addresses the mind as well as the body. Immediately, I experienced enormous relief from low back pain."
- J. T., M.D., Physician, Medical Researcher, Biotechnology Company - “I have noted improvement in stress-related muscle pain and tension, joint pain and posture. Bowen Therapy sessions may benefit people with musculo-skeletal pain as well as other stress related symptoms. Much to my surprise, my neck pain got resolved through this work. I am very pleased with the results and quite amazed!”
- L. White. MD - Physician, former Professor of Cardiology - “This body work has been enormously beneficial in allowing me to feel freer, less constricted, more mobile, better aligned, with a greater sense of space in my movements. I highly recommend Bowen Therapy.”
- Dr Robert Flemming MD - “After over 30 years of medical practice, I am finding the Bowen Technique the most effective and efficient hands-on procedure I’ve ever studied. I fully recommend this technique to all health practitioners.”
- Oscar C. Weitzberg, Rockville, MD - "Two chronic problems cleared up after a few Bowen sessions three months ago. As far back as I can remember, I tended toward constipation. After eighty-five years of laxatives, enemas, and suppositories, I’m now regular — even without Metamucil. My sinus condition began in the early 1950s. After the doctor’s initial treatments with iodine, I irrigated my sinuses with saline solution for about ten years, then used Neosynephrine for thirty years, and finally used Nasacor daily for ten years. Since the Bowen, my sinuses are clear without any medication."
- Nadine Kachur, L.Ac., Licensed Acupuncturist - “Excellent work! Two Bowen Sessions and my knees were free of strain.”
- Tisha Douthwaite, L.Ac., Licensed Acupuncturist - “My sacrum has felt unstable causing sciatic pain off and on for years. After two Bowen sessions, my pelvis is no longer jammed; even after doing the things that usually caused pain, it did not destabilize. I’ve also released a lot of emotional holding.”
- Carol Henri Marketing, IBM - “After just one Bowen session, my intense low lack pain is gone and has not returned.”
- Malcolm Stemp Osteopath & Homoeopath for 40 years and also a past lecturer in osteopathy at Oxford University “ A great truth. It answers all the laws of natural medicine, namely, that the body be treated as a whole without reference to named disease.”
Copyright © 2018 Perfect Balance Therapies - All Rights Reserved.
DISCLAIMER: While many have experienced healing during or after sessions, Sharon Walsh makes no claims, promises or guarantees of any particular outcome, does not diagnose illness, disease or any other physical or mental disorder or prescribe pharmaceuticals/medical treatments. Sharon facilitates healing with the heartfelt intent that the client’s greatest good manifest, whatever that may be. You are solely responsible for consulting your doctor and continuing with your own medical treatment to treat specific health issues or challenges that you are dealing with.